12 points on your licence? Our motor lawyers can save you from a ban
How Long Do Points Stay On Your Licence?
If you are judged to have committed a driving offence, any penalty points that you incur will remain on your licence for 4 or 11 years from either the date of the offence or conviction. If you accumulate 12 points or more within 3 years of each other, you may face a driving ban of 6 months or more.
In order to avoid or limit this ban, you will probably need to convince the court that a ban would bring you ‘exceptional hardship’. Our expert motor solicitors operate in Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Leeds, Huddersfield and Bradford, and have a 95% success rate of arguing against driving bans.
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 4 years from the date of the offence:
- Accident offences (endorsement codes A10, 20, 30)
- Driving or attempting to drive while disqualified (BA10, 30)
- Careless driving offences (CD10, 20, 30)
- Faulty vehicle and vehicle use offences (CU10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 80)
- Drink driving-related offences (DR40, 50, 60, 70)
- In charge of a vehicle under the influence of drugs (D40, 90)
- Insurance offences (IN10)
- Licence offences (LC10, 20, 30, 40, 50)
- Failure to observe roadway regulations (MW10, PC10, 20, 30)
- Failure to observe traffic signals (TS10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70)
- Driving over the speed limit (SP10, 20, 30, 40, 50)
- Vehicle theft (UT50)
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 4 years from the date of the conviction:
- Causing death or injury by driving while disqualified (BA40, 60)
- Causing death by careless driving or while not permitted to drive (CD40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90)
- Dangerous driving offences (DD10, 40, 60, 80, 90)
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 11 years from the date of the conviction:
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence (CD40, 50, 60, 70)
- Drink driving offences (DR10, 20, 30, 31, 61)
- Drug driving-related offences (DR10, 60, 80)
DFR Solicitors offer professional, experienced legal guidance throughout West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Manchester and Cheshire.
Make a free enquiry today.
I was charged with drink driving and my case looked hopeless. There was witness evidence and forensic evidence. From my first meeting with Abdul he reassured me that we could win the case. Abdul was fantastic and the end result is that I am a happy man as I have kept my driving licence and my job. Scott McDonald.
I was initially somewhat sceptical about keeping my licence, I was stopped for Drink Driving and the costs were high, but the result was excellent, and the money was certainly well spent. I would not hesitate to use DFR again. Michael A.
I had never been in court previously, and the prospect was terrifying. I was stopped for Drink Driving, and was looking at a significant disqualification. The result in the circumstances was unbelievable, the solicitor was excellent in presenting my case and explaining the extenuating circumstances. I was overjoyed with the final result.NM