12 points on your licence? Our motor lawyers can save you from a ban
How Long Do Points Stay On Your Licence?
If you are judged to have committed a driving offence, any penalty points that you incur will remain on your licence for 4 or 11 years from either the date of the offence or conviction. If you accumulate 12 points or more within 3 years of each other, you may face a driving ban of 6 months or more.
In order to avoid or limit this ban, you will probably need to convince the court that a ban would bring you ‘exceptional hardship’. Our expert motor solicitors operate in Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Leeds, Huddersfield and Bradford, and have a 95% success rate of arguing against driving bans.
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 4 years from the date of the offence:
- Accident offences (endorsement codes A10, 20, 30)
- Driving or attempting to drive while disqualified (BA10, 30)
- Careless driving offences (CD10, 20, 30)
- Faulty vehicle and vehicle use offences (CU10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 80)
- Drink driving-related offences (DR40, 50, 60, 70)
- In charge of a vehicle under the influence of drugs (D40, 90)
- Insurance offences (IN10)
- Licence offences (LC10, 20, 30, 40, 50)
- Failure to observe roadway regulations (MW10, PC10, 20, 30)
- Failure to observe traffic signals (TS10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70)
- Driving over the speed limit (SP10, 20, 30, 40, 50)
- Vehicle theft (UT50)
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 4 years from the date of the conviction:
- Causing death or injury by driving while disqualified (BA40, 60)
- Causing death by careless driving or while not permitted to drive (CD40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90)
- Dangerous driving offences (DD10, 40, 60, 80, 90)
A conviction for the following offences will mean that your licence is endorsed with penalty points that will remain there for 11 years from the date of the conviction:
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence (CD40, 50, 60, 70)
- Drink driving offences (DR10, 20, 30, 31, 61)
- Drug driving-related offences (DR10, 60, 80)
DFR Solicitors offer professional, experienced legal guidance throughout West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Manchester and Cheshire.
Contact us for expert advice and a FREE consultation on 01484 599 888.
The prospect of losing my licence and summoned to the magistrates court was a devastating experience for myself and my family. Finding DFR Solicitors was the turning point in the process. Putting your trust in someone you have never met before can be daunting, however within our first meeting professionalism, knowledge and confidence shone through. Abdul guided and reassured throughout.Ian and Margaret Berry 22/04/2016
I was a heating engineer, and required my licence for work, everything I had worked for was hinging on my ability to drive. I instructed DFR and Mr Ali courteous and professional manner, and his excellence in court ensured that I kept my licence. I would recommend Mr Ali in the first instance for any motoring cases.Peter Conelly 18/03/2016
The service provided by DFR was excellent, I was seriously worried about losing my licence, but Abdul made the whole process easy to understand. I am overjoyed with the result of keeping my licence, Abdul was fantastic in court. I would recommend Abdul and his team to anyone that will listen.Carl Hurst 18/03/2016
I had never been in court previously, and the prospect was terrifying. I was stopped for Drink Driving, and was looking at a significant disqualification. The result in the circumstances was unbelievable, the solicitor was excellent in presenting my case and explaining the extenuating circumstances. I was overjoyed with the final result.JL 08/12/2015